Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Day of "School"



The "mini preschool" program I took Deuce to earlier this year started back up this week. Though I really wanted him in the same class as his former classmates, I decided to sign him up for a class that would be less structured. I keep second-guessing myself, but if things go well I can move him up this winter. Another benefit is that because it is a less-structured class, Alexis is more likely to gain from being there with him than she would the other class - they even made a nametag for her!
I've been doing "school" at home the past few weeks - at minimum 30 minutes in the morning of structured activities, the other things throughout the day on days we stay home. Mostly the alphabet, numbers, shapes, and Deuce is learning to write the alphabet - he recognizes all of the letters! I do need to figure out how to increase his confidence in speaking - some things he says under his breath, some things loud and clear, but he's almost always right!
And I have seen a payoff already - at the preschool program this week when the teacher held up the letter of the day, BOTH of my children loudly yelled "A!!!"
They talked about the letter "a" and words that started with it and then made apple crowns. Alexis proudly sported her crown, while Deuce just wasn't willing to give up his precious baseball cap!

No comments: