Friday, March 23, 2012

The Rainbow Bridge

It's officially been one month since Chance died. I still miss him (um, a month isn't that long), desperately, but am adjusting. To paraphrase a quote (I think from Dr. Seuss) - don't be sad that it's over, be glad that it happened. I am forever grateful that Chance "happened" to me - my goodness I thought I would lose my mind in the beginning (I can take you through the house and show you the cabinets and stair rails he chewed, as well as the holes I had to patch in the walls), but I have such fond memories of him.

I also have to laugh, because it seems like EVERY video of the children we have - from when Deuce first came home from the hospital to Alexis taking her first steps, Chance seemed to always work his way in front of the camera. EVERY VIDEO!

But anyway, when he died an old friend of mine sent me this link to a poem called "The Rainbow Bridge." Instead of constantly keeping an internet window open so I could read it, I thought I would just post the poem here - I thought it was nice...


The Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

No comments: