Friday, June 10, 2011

Chickenbone Earrings

Yeah, you read that correctly: chickenbone earrings.

I won't get into the tales of my dry, damaged, and disrespected hair, but in an effort to grow my hair out and set an example for Alexis (the whole thing about of appreciating the natural hair God gave us), I've been rocking a 'fro recently.

So earlier this week I ran into the grocery store while Asa waited in the car with the crew, and an older man in a kufi hat said something to me as I walked in (I didn't understand him), so I smiled and said hello. He then told me he had something for me when I came back out.

So I get my little items, come out, and the man holds out some earrings and says they were for me. I told him that was OK, thanked him anyway, but then he insisted I accept them as a gift because: "You wear your hair knotty. Keep wearing your hair knotty. It's beautiful."

He had told me that the earrings were made of bone, and I made the mistake of asking him what kind. "Chicken, but you don't have to tell anybody."

Gotta admit he's creative, but somebody must've had wings the night before!

No comments: